The file extension allows identifying the file type. If you are an experienced Windows user, it is easy for you to identify the file type. Because it is very important to see the file extension to identify the type of file you are trying to open from a security point of view.
Even in the latest version of the Windows operating system - Windows 10, file extensions of known file types associated with certain software installed on your computer are always hidden by default.
More advanced Windows 10 users who want to keep their files and data under control can disable the "Hide extensions for known file types" feature.
So, in this tutorial, we will see how to display the file extensions.
1. Open the Control Panel of the Office, tapping Control Panel in the search bar of Windows 10.
2. Click the Appearance and Personalization...
3. Click Show Hidden Files and Folders in the Options group of the File Explorer.
4. Then, uncheck the box Hide extensions of known type, then click Apply and OK.
5. Once the changes are saved, you will be able to see all the file extensions in your Microsoft Windows 10 operating system.